Inter 2 – 1 AC Milan
Unfortunately AC Milan lost to Inter in the Milan derby today. Also unfortunately, David was injured during play. He hurt his hamstring and we’ll bring you updates on that as we find them.
David Beckham hurt his hamstring in AC Milan’s 2-1 loss to Inter Milan on Sunday, days after his MLS team cut off talks of transferring him to the Italian side.
Beckham, who is on loan to AC Milan through March 9, played 56 minutes before being replaced. He appeared fatigued, having also played a half for England against Spain on Wednesday.Source
More About the Injury
David Beckham hobbled off as AC Milan lost to city rivals Inter as Jose Mourinho’s side stretched their Serie A lead.
The England midfielder looked to be holding his hamstring as he left the pitch early in the second half. If the injury is more than a slight strain, that could mean Beckham faces a spell on the sidelines while Milan continue with their attempts to prise the 33-year-old from the Los Angeles Galaxy on a permanent basis.Source
Beckham hopes to avoid “difficult” Galaxy return
David Beckham said on Sunday it would be difficult for him to return to Los Angeles Galaxy if his permanent move to AC Milan does not materialise.
The England midfielder, on a two-month loan at Milan, wants to stay in Italy but Galaxy said on Friday that he must go back to Los Angeles after a Major League Soccer deadline to complete the transfer passed.
“I’ve said I want to stay here and if I do go back then it will be a bit difficult but we’ll have to wait and see what happens,” Beckham told reporters after his side’s 2-1 defeat by Inter Milan. [...]
Asked if there might be an outcome in the next few days, Beckham said: “I don’t know. It is out of my hands and they’ll be talking in the next week or two.”Source
Beckham coming back to LA Galaxy
Sita found this article that adds to what we posted over the weekend:
Tim Leiweke, president of Galaxy parent AEG, said Friday the Italian club didn’t make a second offer to the Galaxy to keep Beckham so the team will adhere to MLS commissioner Don Garber’s Friday deadline to resolve the situation.
The Galaxy had earlier rejected Milan’s only offer.
“We didn’t receive an offer today,” Leiweke told The Associated Press by phone from Colorado. “We will abide by the commissioner’s wishes, so we are clear at this point that we don’t want to have any further conversations.”
Leiweke said he had discussions with Milan officials earlier in the week, but heard nothing from them Friday.
“They clearly were looking at this as a football decision and we were looking at it as a football and business decision,” he said.
“I’m not sure they ever quite understood the magnitude of the losses the Galaxy and the league would have had to bear this season. They were very respectful discussions. We’re fine. There’s no issues here.”
Leiweke said he had not spoken directly to Beckham, but that he informed the player’s representatives the loan would not be made permanent. Beckham’s five-year Galaxy contract is owned by MLS, and he is due in the team’s training camp on March 9.
“I know David is emotionally invested, but I don’t think Milan really was that interested in spending the money we would have had to receive to compensate us for our losses,” Leiweke said.
“We need David to honor the contract and come home and let’s stop the distraction.”
Leiweke said Beckham will likely be disappointed by the outcome, but added that “David is a professional. He will get his arms around this and he will come back here.”
Beckham had said he wanted to stay with Milan in a bid to play one more World Cup with England in South Africa next year.
“He can probably still accomplish that as well by being here in 2009,” Galaxy coach Bruce Arena said Friday before the resolution was announced.
“We look forward to having him back with the club,” Arena said in a statement issued Friday night.
Leiweke confirmed that Beckham has a clause in his contract that would allow him to leave at the end of this year.
“Clearly the risk is we may lose him at the end of the year,” Leiweke said. “Our hope is the team surprises him and we’re a lot better than last year.”Continue reading more here
Pre-Spain Video: Capello Praises Becks
Pre-Spain Video: Becks Arrives
Thanks to Sita for both those videos.